Service Excellence Award
The NASSS Service Excellence Award is awarded at our annual meeting to an individual who has offered distinguished service and long time contributions to the organization (NASSS), and/or the area of the sociology of sport more generally.
Criteria may include, but is not limited to:
- service to NASSS as an organization
- scholarly impact on the field through the discipline of the sociology of sport
- Nominators will submit—in the form of a letter—a one to two page statement on a nominee whom you believe is a worthy recipient of this award. The letter should describe in some detail the reasons why NASSS should recognize the recipient.
- Nominations may be submitted by an individual, or jointly by a group of individual NASSS member(s).
- It is not required that the nominee or recipient be a NASSS member. Nor is service to the organization as an elected officer a sufficient or required criteria.
The Committee, which includes long-standing NASSS members and past-award recipient(s), look forward to reviewing the nominations. The call for nominations and deadline for submission will be announced in Summer 2018.
|2017||Gertrud Pfister (Københavns Universitet)|
|2017||Eric Dunning (University of Leicester)|
|2016||Norman Denzin (University of Illinois)|
|2015||Mary Jo Kane (University of Minnesota)|
|2014||R. Vivian Acosta (Brooklyn College) and Linda Jean Carpenter (Brooklyn College)|
|2013||Nancy Spencer (Bowling Green University)|
|2012||Merrill Melnick (SUNY Brookport) & Peter Donnelly (University of Toronto)|
|2011||Don Sabo (D’Youville College) & Gary Sailes (Indiana University)|
|2010||Joseph Maguire (Loughborough University)|
|2009||Susan Birrell (University of Iowa) & Harry Edwards (University of California, Berkeley)|
|2008||Jennifer Hargreaves (Universities of Surrey and Brighton, UK) & Richard Lapchick (University of Central Florida)|
|2007||Mike Malec (Boston College) & Michael Messner (University of Southern California)|
|2006||Vicky Paraschak (University of Windsor)|
|2005||Nancy Theberge (University of Waterloo)|
|2004||Jim Frey (University of Nevada–Las Vegas)|
|2003||John Loy (Universities of Illinois and Otago)|
|2002||Andrew Yiannakis (University of Connecticut) & Susan Greendorfer (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)|
|2001||George Sage (University of Northern Colorado) & D. Stanley Eitzen (Colorado State University)|
|1996||Jay Coakley (University of Colorado–Colorado Springs), Gunther Lueschen (University of Alabama), & Lee Vander Velden (University of Maryland)|
|Gerald Kenyon (Universities of Wisconsin and Waterloo)|