Posthumous Award Winners:
Barbara A. Brown
D. Stanley Eitzen
Alan G. Ingham
David L. Andrews, University of Maryland at College Park
Toni Bruce, University of Auckland
Ted M. Butryn, San Jose State University
Cheryl Cooky, Purdue University
Simon C. Darnell, University of Toronto
Bryan E. Denham, Clemson University
Michael D. Giardina, Florida State University
Audrey Giles, University of Ottawa
Lyndsay Hayhurst, York University
John D. Horne, University of Central Lancashire
Steven J. Jackson, University of Otago
Annelies Knoppers, University of Utrecht
Pirkko Markula, University of Alberta
Michael Messner, University of Southern California
Joshua I. Newman, Florida State University
Richard Pringle, University of Auckland
Jay Scherer, University of Alberta
John Sugden, University of Brighton
Heather J. Sykes, University of Toronto
Alan Tomlinson, University of Brighton
Cathy van Ingen, Brock University
Brian Wilson, University of British Columbia
North American Society for the Sociology of Sport members wishing to gain Research Fellow status must have a continuous and high quality record of scholarship, as outlined below. Special consideration will be given to senior and emeritus scholars whose contributions to the field meet the eligibility criteria, but only when date of recent publications and presentations is not considered.
NASSS Fellows will be announced and presented with the award at the annual conference in November.
The minimum criteria that must be met include (both A and B):
- Publications: All NASSS Research Fellows must have published at least 20 refereed journal articles. Five of the total refereed journal articles must be within the last six years. Three of the total refereed journal articles must be published in, or accepted for publication in, the Sociology of Sport Journal. Each NASSS Research Fellow must be first or solo author on at least five of the referee journal articles, including at least one refereed publication in the Sociology of Sport Journal.
- Presentations: All NASSS Fellows must have 20 refereed presentations. Four of the total presentations must be within the last six years; six of the total presentations must be presentations delivered at the annual proceedings of the North American Society for the Sociology of Sport.
Application & Review
Members seeking the NASSS Research Fellow Award must submit qualifications (listing of minimum criteria) in PDF format to the NASSS Research Fellows Award Committee. The committee will send out the 2018 application during Spring/Summer 2018
NASSS members wishing to submit their credentials for verification/authentication must follow the guidelines as outlined. All members seeking Fellowship status must be active members of NASSS (dues for the year having been paid) upon submission (Join here: https://nasss.org/join/ ).
All questions should be addressed to NASSS Research Fellow Award Committee Chair, Theresa Walton-Fisette (email@example.com).
Each packet must include:
- A cover page listing the candidate’s name, rank and/or title, institutional affiliation, research areas/interests, address, phone and fax numbers, and e-mail address.
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae that includes a list of candidate’s publications and presentations in APA format;
- A scanned copy or screenshot of the Sociology of Sport Journal Table of Contents page or title page of your article for each SSJ publication (pages from other journals are not required).
- A scanned copy of the NASSS Program page containing the candidate’s name and presentation title for each presentation (pages from other presentations are not required). (All previous NASSS program files are housed in the Archives at Bowling Green University: http://scholarworks.bgsu.edu/nasssprograms/ ).
1) There is no voting process. Members qualify for NASSS Research Fellow distinction upon attaining a certain scholarly record (see minimum criteria, above).
2) Members who qualify are automatically designated as NASSS Fellows upon the NASSS Research Fellows Award Committee’s authentication of the candidates’ academic record